Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
A Few Do's and Don'ts
Our teams know that water damage, whether to your home or your business is a stressful situation. When you're faced with the uncertainty of water damage, let us be your first call (914) 699-5181 to assess the degree of damage and start the restoration process. Safety should always be your main focus after water damage. After you've called our professionals you should assess if your property is safe to stay in. Always keep in mind that electrical hazards should be a main concern after water damage. While waiting for SERVPRO professionals to arrive, remember that materials that are wet will increase in weight and will become very heavy.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (914) 699-5181
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.